Friday, June 20, 2014

Are You My Mother?

Last May a cute family moved into my garden. The first thing I did was put a note on the backdoor to remind myself not to exit through the garden during their stay. After a little research on the internet, I thought, okay, this sounds pretty simple... Mom sits on the eggs until they hatch and then dad and mom both feed the babies. Wow!! Was I surprised to see how much work these two birds did to keep their four little ones alive. It was a feeding frenzy every fifteen minutes.

One day a little wren stopped by to check out the babies. I must admit I was a bit freaked out at first, but then she started to feed them as if they were her own. She had a nest nearby, but her babies didn't survive after hatching. We called her Nanny.

The day they flew away from the garden it was total chaos for about 20 minutes and then they were gone. It happened so fast. It took me about a week to stop looking out the little window that faced the nest. I really missed them.

They came back this past April and build a nest in the exact same spot. I was so excited to witness the whole process again, but we had a late freeze and shortly afterwards she abandoned the nest. I took down the nest after a few weeks hoping they would come back and rebuild but so far nothing. There were three little eggs.

Here are a few of my images from last year.



















No comments:

Post a Comment